March 2011 – June 2015
Company Summary. Avalara is disrupting the status quo in the “scintillating” world of sales tax management since 2004, and they continue to blaze new roads in this very old industry. From the beginning, the dedicated team of revolutionaries has worked day and night to help businesses of all sizes achieve compliance by providing a fast, easy, and accurate way to manage transactional taxes.
Customer Success and Strategic Value
Building on my experiences and achievements in leading the Professional Services (Onboarding) and Customer Care organizations, I took on a new role in developing Avalara’s first Enterprise Strategic Value and Success organization. A business challenge was ahead of us as revenue retention and market capture was at risk due to increasingly dismal product adoption and wavering sentiments from the enterprise market and high-visible brand segments. The organization was developed to serve the company’s highest strategic customers, as well as the enterprise market, resulting in multi-year, multi-million dollar high-revenue retention and upsell achievement.
Initiatives Most Proud Of:
- Pioneering an organization that was able to demonstrate immediate impact to the business challenges
- Conceived and developed the organization’s first Customer Happiness Index Model
- Nurtured and led results-driven cross-collaboration initiatives between internal and external C-Levels, which ultimately established trusted partnership dynamics
Achievements Most Noteworthy:
- Retained 100% net MRR (monthly recurring revenue)
- Achieved 1% customer churn
- Increased MRR value by 20% from cross-sell / up-sell
Professional Services and Customer Care
At a pivotal transition from a perpetual license and on-premise solution model to a SaaS license and delivery model, I joined FuelQuest (acquired by Avalara) to help maneuver their Professional Services organization to a new generation. Mapping the delivery model, developing the processes and tools to support the customer experience, and developing the talent strategy and skills matrix were a few of the initial endeavors my team and I focused on. Ultimately, this organization was morphed from a traditional consulting model to a high-performing solutions onboarding/delivery team that captivated customer trust while influencing TTR (time to revenue) and TTV (time to value) harmoniously between corporate goals and customer expectations.
With the Professional Services team making an exponential impact, I was asked to also assume the Customer Care organization as they, too, were in a time of transition. Indoctrinating a customer-centricity culture served the Professional Services team well and my focus with the Customer Care team was to begin integrating this, as well as tackling technology and process improvements, that would align towards a higher customer experience.
Initiatives Most Proud Of:
- Crafted the company’s product and services MRR projections model
- Developed and executed a partner delivery model that enabled technology and industry experts to also serve as trusted, certified solution delivery teams in the market for our solutions, without compromising TTR / TTV goals
- Curated a high-performing, innovative, and thriving team culture
- Led a variety of corporate product and service contract modification initiatives that decreased corporate risk exposure without compromising market needs
- Crafted a thorough, and effective, product delivery training model that offered meaningful insight into the team’s ability to execute projected customer experiences; this also served as a secondary tool for new-hire readiness levels related to product knowledge and deliverability
Achievements Most Proud Of:
- Increased TTR by 20%, year-over-year
- Directly impacted an increase of 18% on NPS results
- Achieved 88% growth in services revenue, while simultaneously driving product TTR / TTV results
- Achieved highest employee retention rates within my teams, with year-over-year average of 90%+ retention